That's right: Blizzard is auctioning off the original World of Warcraft Blade Servers, realm-specific. That means that you can buy the server you used to play on if you played WoW from the beginning. Currently the auction-prices aren't crazy, either. Currently they range from around $100 to $250, but there's no doubt in my mind that they will get pretty expensive. All proceeds will go to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Details, taken from an auction page, follow:
- Display is approximately 28” x 10.3” x 1.7” and weighs 18lbs.
- Each case is exactly the same for all of the servers.
- Plaques will show the Realm Name and Mo/Yr of start and end date.
- The copy on the plaque reads: Blizzard Entertainment has carefully preserved and archived our retired server blades, releasing only a limited number for a noble cause. To us, this server blade is more than just hardware: within the circuits and hard drive, a world of magic, adventure, and friendship thrived. From fishing in quiet lakes to defeating Arthas in Icecrown Citadel, this blade was home to thousands of immersive experiences across the world of Azeroth and beyond. We thank you for the safekeeping of this important part of history.
- The signatures are printed on the plaque not original and include the World of Warcraft team.
Pretty awesome if you're a WoW fan and have a few extra hundred dollars. You can view the auction pages here